Info For Potential and New Members
We always welcome new members and want to make the process as simple and transparent as possible.
Our membership secretaries (Michael Dawson and Katie Walsh – details below) are happy to have a chat with any potential new members before they apply.
If you are already a competent player, you can join straightaway or are welcome to come along to one or two club social sessions first to see if you like the club. Or perhaps you only want to play with your children or with friends who are already members? That’s fine too.
Of course, a certain level of ability is needed if you want to join in with club sessions. So:
• If in doubt, we’ll ask you to have a quick hit with Michael or Katie. We may then ask you to take part in our beginners’ sessions with our coach, James Mott, before joining the club.
• If there’s more than one person involved in the beginners’ sessions you can play together outside the coaching sessions for the first four weeks.
• When James decides you are ready to join, we will deduct some of the cost from your first year membership subscription – either half the cost of the coaching sessions or £50, whichever is the lower amount.
Don’t worry about having all the gear, wear something comfortable that you can run around in, and it’s very handy to have pockets that you can fit a tennis ball or two into. Please don’t wear shoes with studs or anything that would damage our all weather courts. Trainers or sports shoes are fine.
We use the LTA’s Clubspark’s online booking system. Once you are a member and invited to use Bounds Green’s Clubspark, you can book courts remotely by the internet on your phone or PC. Booking is free. Regular times when all three courts are in use are Sunday 11am to 1.30pm and Thursday from 7.00pm, when we have social tennis sessions. Saturdays are pretty busy with coaching until 2pm followed by men’s and ladies’ team practice until 4:30pm, although there is generally one court available to book even at these times – it’s best to check using the booking system. Courts are also booked in advance for home league matches and other coaching sessions, including kids’ camps during the school holidays.
Full adult membership is currently £222 for the full year – a figure we are holding for 2022/23. If you are a new member you add £25 as a one off joining fee and to buy a share in the club. Children under 9 can join for free, and there are very generous discounts for older children, adults under 30 or over 60, students and the unemployed, as well as a family membership.
There are four easy ways to pay:
- Cash – please leave in an envelope with your Membership form behind the bar & text Michael or Katie to confirm you have paid
- CHEQUE – please make cheque payable to BOUNDS GREEN RECREATION CLUB LTD & as per point 1.
- Bank transfer – please transfer money to HSBC Sort code 40-05-21 Account number 41502107. Please put your SURNAME as the reference. Then leave your completed form at the Club as per point 1.
- By card at the till behind the bar.
The floodlights cost £1 for 15 minutes. The meters for the lights can be found on your left just inside the clubhouse door. Labels on the coin box indicate which court is which.
If you wish to play with an adult who is not a member of the club you are required to pay a guest fee of £5. This should be paid by bank transfer, at the bar, or by giving the money to Les Massey, the building manager. A guest can play up to three times before they need to decide if they are going to join the club or play elsewhere – we hope they’ll join!
There are various WhatsApp groups to help new members integrate and get the most from the club, including one for lady members and one for new joiners. Please speak to existing members about this, or ask Michael Dawson (07982 432147) or Katie Walsh (07958 951265).
Meet some of our tennis members and find out what they like about the club.